You can call this everything but the kitchen sink chicken soup. Or maybe It’s-All-Good soup! Or Anything Goes Soup… you get the picture.
It is C-O-L-D and I had a hankering for some soup, but knew I had to use the veggies I had in the fridge.
I ended up using zucchini, onion and carrots. And I felt very sophisticated portioning out individual servings of soup into these glass jars and freezing them.
1 or 2 Zucchini, cut into pieces
1 or 2 Carrots, cut into pieces
1 onion, cut into pieces
1 tbs of minced garlic, (to keep the vampires away)
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 lb of chicken breast, cut into – you guessed it- pieces
1 large container of chicken broth (I used Kitchen Basics box – I think 32 ounces)
Salt ( I like Sea Salt)
- Precut everything! Make your life easy!
- Put the olive in the bottom of a large pot, and heat over medium heat
- Add the chicken, salt and pepper
- I let this cook for a good while, 10 minutes-ish, turning the chicken, so it cooked evenly.
- Add the garlic, carrots and onion, let that cook up for a bit
- Add the zucchini, cook for another 3-4 minutes
- Add the chicken broth, let that puppy cook up for another 10-15 minutes
I have mental issues when I only eat soup for a meal, so I usually like something else on the side. You could always add some pasta and call it a day. As an aside – I tried adding potatoes once, they didn’t freeze well. Blech!