Ah…. Popcorn. A snack staple from my weight watcher days.
Back then, I used the microwavable stuff – you know the one with the yellow kernels and the warning to not inhale the fumes.
You see where this is headed, right?
I made my own popcorn with coconut oil on my stove. Just call it Dizee Pop.
3TBS of Coconut Oil
1/3 cup of Organic Pop Corn Kernels (thus avoiding the dreaded GMO kernels)
Sea Salt, to taste
Seriously, just those 3 ingredients
- Put a nice size pot on the stove, add the 3 TBS of coconut oil & wait for it to melt
- Rub any extra coconut oil from the spoon into your elbows or hands. Don’t waste it!
- When you think the oil is warm enough, add 2-3 kernels to the pot and wait until they pop. (Mine popped clear out of the pot and onto the floor. It made one of the pups very happy)
- Add the rest of the kernels and put the lid on the pot
- Get ready for a party in that pot. Shake the pot every thirty to forty seconds or so to prevent burning
- When the popping calms down, dump the popcorn out onto a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with Sea Salt
The whole thing took only minutes. Even Craig enjoyed it. To quote
I don’t taste the coconut oil. This isn’t half bad.
Now, obviously, this opens the door to all sorts of crazy combinations – garlic, cheese or possibly chili powder.
Does anyone pop their own popcorn? What is your favorite topping?